Saturday, May 09, 2015

Usurper

The thunder growls
an invitation
so I take myself
up the stairs

the trapped air
moves around me
presses back
heat around my
neck, like a hand-
I should have 
opened the windows-

the sudden 
brightness on the terrace
startles a bat
into panicked swoops
once twice thrice
and then into
the blessed dark 
of the coconut

People who love me
tell me to leave
this place

but I've let 
the baby lizards be
and placed buckets
under leaking roofs

and there's a spider
in the kitchen
weaving an increasingly
wide web

and there are spaces
in this house
that say
do not disturb

so I'm careful where I
reach my hand
or place my feet

and there are silences
in this house
that slot into mine
so neatly
as though they'd been waiting-

there's the smell of rain
in the air,
but I've been mistaken before-

the bat takes off again,
impatient, possibly,
for the usurper
to be gone. 









No comments: