Sunday, January 24, 2016

Approaching Equinox

There wasn't a winter this year-
seasons out of whack-
surely a portent-
but the birds come to the lake yet-
long necks bent, or wings spread,
one or two look contemplative,
perched in the distance:
what do birds think about, anyway?

Mold on my walls-
and other things-
other wonderful, weird things
that deserve investigation-
or fixing (says my father's voice
careful, pragmatic)-

I have no time to fix
anything
these fissures will remain
while I learn to take
the easiest routes
leap over, walk around,
walk along-

there's a darkness in you
she says, one evening-
not a presence, 
but an absence,
I think, but do not say-

and so it goes-
the sickle moon grows full once more
and winter shows up then-
briefly, a last hopeless stand
against a destiny
made for tilting toward the sun. 





No comments: