Thursday, April 09, 2020

Today I saw a Sparrow



Today I saw a sparrow-
a sparrow!
and then another!
and said to myself, huh
would you look at that?
'cause it has been an aeon
since I saw one close enough
that I could tell it had that
unimpressed look that all birds give you
right before they swerve straight in the
direction of your eyeballs
beady-eyed, sharp-beaked-
have I mentioned I hate birds?
I do,
I do.
I'm not going to let an apocalypse change that.

How to Deal with Everything
by Those Who Know
(and make sure to tell you so )
in neatly ordered lists :
·       Learn something new
·       Appreciate nature
·       Spend time with the ones you love
Even if they're bits of binary
packed into-
fuck if I know.
Another thing that the apocalypse won't change-
the profound blissfulness of my ignorance
of things great and small-invisible-

-like that damn virus-
its poky bits-
no, I refuse to say
protein spikes made of amino acids
-poky bits is good enough for me-
the parts that we're so busy
trying to break down
disintegrate,
obliterate
sanitize
the poky bits are a song, you guys,
and it takes
one hundred and five minutes and forty-eight seconds
of your (very) mortal time.
its music-
lilting, uneven, kind of boring
to be honest-
anyway-
having been translated,
it’s not any more knowable-
not to me, at least,
still secure in my un-knowing-
and I wonder-
I wonder-
if those forty-eight seconds
are what leave you gasping on a hospital bed
your breath nothing like music
and I wonder –
I wonder-
what the music sounds like
when we break it down
with our weapons of purity-
Is it-
a sudden silence
or a dissonance stretched out
and out and out and out,
un-listenable, un-bearable
and then, at last,  the quiet.