Monday, March 02, 2015

Tamar

In the last week, my attention was drawn, quite by chance, to different narratives involving one incident narrated in the Old Testament- the story of Tamar. I've been familiar with this story from childhood- and the way the focus, both in the text, and in subsequent discourse rarely stays on Tamar- she is literally written out of her own story, having provided the impetus for the more "consequential" events in the form of the actions of her male family members. Of course, where the focus does stay on Tamar, it's sometimes in the form of gross victim blaming interpretations- one of which I had the privilege of reading last week.

The Old Testament doesn't tell us much of what became of Tamar- but it does tell us that she had a niece who shared her name, and about whom the only other piece of information we have is that she was considered to be "a beautiful woman".

I'd like to remember them both this way. (I've messed around with the timelines, compared to the Biblical text- sorry, not sorry. :D)





Your father
placed you on my lap,
said-
We're naming her Tamar.

My brother-
he was always like that-
trying to fix what
had broken
by brute force
or by kindness
which was also
brutal
in those days
because I couldn't bear it-
couldn't bear that the world
was unshaken,
that it moved to its usual rhythm
sun, moon, stars
following their appointed paths.
Spring had come and gone
and now summer was on its way out
and your eyes were hazel,
the colour of dead leaves,
but soft, soft, soft.

I wished you dead,
in that instant-
you had your life ahead of you
and I loved you in that instant
because you had your life ahead of you.

But soon, I loved you for yourself.
You made that easy.

You've heard all this before-
we have had no secrets, you and I-
it was to me you'd come
for comfort when some childish game
went wrong, and your playmate
was revealed to be
a perfidious wretch
who deserves to go to bed hungry
doesn't she mother?
(for that's how you called me, only me,
your mother, she had to smile and bear it
and I am not ashamed to say, I rejoiced in it,
for I had tasted her pity and knew it to be
as bitter as strangers' mockery)

and it's you now, who bathes this
crumbling body, soothes these
swollen joints with the most
fragrant of oils
touches my limbs as though
they are loved.

Miriam, that one from the kitchen
who won't shut up-
she tells me of how
tales of your beauty
are being carried
through the land-
your body is to be
a treaty, the trade
for men, and weapons
and allegiance-
If I could,
I would kill Absalom myself
for this, no, don't look
so distressed-
You want to say
Father would never--

but then, Absalom is, after all,
his father's son,
a man,
and with them, it is always thus-
blood and war and taking
what isn't theirs.

Here, take these:
the ornaments that your father
insisted that I wear-
a defiance he insisted on
and I acquiesced to
because I loved him too.
And these- that the King gifted me
every passing year,
see how he weighed my sorrow
in gold and precious stones-
It was all I could do to pretend-
acceptance-
because I knew-
this day would come, and that
you, my darling one,
would not share my fate,
though you have my name.

I have arranged it-
Benjamin is to be trusted,
and Rachel, but the hearts
of men are oft easy turned,
so keep this dagger with you,
and do not hesitate to use it,
but only as a last resort.
Keep your hands clean of blood,
For as long as you can-
Once stained, there’s no washing away.

What more can I say to you?
Don't weep, my heart.
This parting is but temporary,
though it last the remainder of our lives.
Live your life, my daughter,
May your cup ever be filled
and run over-

You were meant for joy.

No comments: